Thursday 9 May 2019

BLACK DYNAMITE no stars

This parody of Blaxploitation films strives to be funny but what you need from a movie like this are the kind of belly laughs you would get from Mel Brooks or the 'Airplane' movies. I suppose you could say it's just as tasteless which, in my book, is at least a brownie point in its favour. Scott Sanders made it in 2009, which was only 10 years ago, but I wonder if a project like this would still get the green light today.

Michael Jai White is "Black Dynamite", (think 'Shaft'), out to avenge the murder of his brother and running up against every stereotypical character there is in the Blaxploitation and crime canon. It looks cheap despite the clever use of the split screen, (very seventies), but then the cheap look and bad acting are at least intentional and I certainly welcomed the lack of political correctness. I just wish it had gone further and was actually funnier.

No comments: